Public Health Agency of Canada
Symbol of the Government of Canada

Share this page

Contact Mental Health

We regret that the Mental Health Promotion Unit is not able to provide a general information or referral service. For other kinds of communications, click on one of the following options:

The address of the Mental Health Promotion Unit is:

Mental Health Promotion Unit
Address locator # 1909-D1
Tunney's Pasture
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 1B4
Fax: (613) 946-3595

Please note that the Mental Health Promotion Unit of the Public Health Agency of Canada cannot provide medical or other clinical advice. Please consult your family doctor, local health centre, crisis line or other community resources listed in your telephone directory. Crisis lines and other emergency numbers are listed at the front of the directory.

Web sites of the Public Health Agency of Canada do not provide crisis counselling or referral. If you are feeling suicidal or in crisis, if you are coping with the loss of a loved one to suicide, or if you know someone who needs help for this kind of situation, the following non-governemental organizations offer information about available support lines:

In Canada

Consult the directory of crisis lines at the Suicide Information and Education CentreExternal Link.

In the United States

Call the National Hopeline Network

Elsewhere in the world

Consult the directory maintained by the Samaritans/Befrienders InternationalExternal Link.

Responsibility for the planning, delivery and monitoring of health services (including mental health services) is primarily the responsibility of the provincial and territorial governments, not the Public Health Agency of Canada. To communicate concerns or questions about mental health service delivery, hospitalization and related issues, please contact your provincial or territorial ministry of health (or equivalent), listed in your telephone directory. For information about federal and provincial/territorial responsibilities related to health care, see the Health Care area of the main Health Canada website.

The Mental Health Promotion Unit does not offer a program of grants and contributions for community projects, research or education. For information about eligibility for project funding from the Population Health Fund of the Public Health Agency of Canada or related initiatives, please contact:

Grants and Contributions Monitoring and Advisory Section
Public Health Agency of Canada
PL 6502A
130 Colonnade Road
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 0K9
(613) 957-3507

To obtain information or to express your views about mental health research, please visit the web site of the Institute of Neurosciences, Mental Health and Addictions (INMHA)External Link, one of the recently established Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) that now provide most federal funding for health research.